08 July, 2009

America's Priorities Shine Through

In light of the death of Michael Jackson, I would like to ask for a moment of Silence for the Fallen. During the huge media overhaul we've seen recently about Michael Jackson, it has become extremely obvious and telling of our priorities as Americans. Since the War on Terror began many years ago, thousands of U.S. soldiers have died, several of them coming in the days of the constant Michael Jackson began. This doesn't come as news to the families of the fallen soldiers, as they have taken a back seat to our celebrities since the beginning, though the recent Michael Jackson craze does pour salt into the wounds. So, I am taking a moment to myself right now to thank all of the soldiers that continue to fight and die for our country, and never receive the respect, honor, or even the acknowledgement that they deserve. Although all of these celebrities do entertain us daily, I ask everyone what they have done to make our country safe? What have they sacrificed for our freedom? Though I pay my respects to those who have passed on, I believe it is those who have sacrificed their lives for all of us that deserve such monumental events. Those who have changed and saved lives deserve the honor, not the crazy celebrities that are revered as demigods everyday. Remember our troops today and everyday.